Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Attack of the TV: The Good, the Bad, and the Downright Ugly News

It’s official. My television is trying to torture me.

Okay, not literally, but with what’s been announced the last couple weeks in the news hasn’t been easy for prime-time entertainment viewers such as myself.

Nina Dobrev has exited as the lead in the CW’s hit The Vampire Diaries.

FOX cancelled Kevin Williamson’s The Following, which had admittedly hit a rough patch. But after Michael Ealy’s debut on the show along with James Purefoy’s return, the series just started to get its groove back. Come Monday though, and it’ll be gone for good.

Plus, Kevin Williamson’s other project, Stalker, just got axed by CBS as well with only a mere season under its belt. This for me was probably the biggest disappointment. From the get-go, the series was edgy, suspenseful, and had the iconic thriller appeal Williamson is notorious for delivering. R.I.P. You will be missed…

To only make the sting of this all the more painful, CBS released the trailer to their new series Supergirl. With successful superhero television adaptations making their rounds with FOX’s Gotham, CW’s The Flash and Arrow, plus Netflix’s Daredevil, it appears CBS just couldn't resist jumping on the bandwagon. As a big fan of superhero films and TV shows, I’m more than game in giving a new contender a fair shot. What CBS delivered in their 6 minute sneak peek of the upcoming series though was less than inspiring, especially considering that it looks an awful lot like SNL’s recent “Black Widow” parody trailer. Yeah, not particularly promising. L

Just when I didn't think things could get any troublesome…

BUM-BUM-BUUUUM.

Reports are now out that 24 may very well continue…without Kiefer Sutherland returning as everybody’s favorite anti-hero, Jack Bauer!

Wait…

WHAT?!?!

Yep.I’m really not one to judge anything till I see it for myself, but I’m not sure if I can bite into what the network’s serving.

24 without Jack Bauer is like a 007 movie with James Bond.

The Count of Monte Cristo without the freaking Count!

Bauer made the show.

Can we really have that ticking clock begin without Kiefer Sutherland’s notorious narration?
Sure, I may be bias. The guy’s my favorite badass. Precisely why I have Bauer’s iconic, “YOU DON’T KNOW JACK” poster hanging up in my office. I may be completely and utterly wrong, but this just seems like FOX is trying to cash out on the series with the hope that loyal fans will simply follow suit, despite knowing it’s missing its key ingredient.

The only good news to take away from all this, the CW delivered a pretty kick-ass trailer for Legends of Tomorrow. You should definitely check it out! The fact that Prison Break’s Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller will be costars once again only has me pumped all the more.

What about you guys? You think 24 can successfully continue without Jack Bauer at the helm? Gonna check out Supergirl? You dig the new Legends sneak peek as much as I did? Any of your favorite shows get the ax?

No comments:

Post a Comment